November 07, 2005

How much is too much?

The LD50 for caffeine is 192 mg/kg. Just for informational purposes, you understand.

(LD50 -- the amount of a substance that kills 50% of the test animals that the substance is tried on)

Posted by Dan at November 7, 2005 04:55 PM | TrackBack (0)
Comments

And FYI, that's about 31 liters of really strong coffee.

Glad to know I'm safe by a reasonable margin. :)

Posted by: Steffen Mueller at November 8, 2005 08:16 AM

I wonder how are mice supposed to behave on just short of 31 liters of caffeine... or rabbits? Caffeined rabbits must go crazy on an already very busy sex life! :))

actually, it's sad...

Posted by: namekuseijin at November 8, 2005 02:10 PM

Some more fun facts from the Caffeine FAQ... ;-)

"Basically, overdosing on caffeine will probably be very very unpleasant but not kill or deliver permanent damage. However, people do die from it.

The LD_50 of caffeine (that is the lethal dosage reported to kill 50% of the population) is estimated at 10 grams for oral administration. As it is usually the case, lethal dosage varies from individual to individual according to weight. Ingestion of 150mg/kg of caffeine seems to be the LD_50 for all people. That is, people weighting 50 kilos have an LD_50 of approx. 7.5 grams, people weighting 80 kilos have an LD_50 of about 12 grams.

In cups of coffee the LD_50 varies from 50 to 200 cups of coffee or about 50 vivarins (200mg each).

One exceptional case documents survival after ingesting 24 grams. The minimum lethal dose ever reported was 3.2 grams intravenously, this does not represent the oral MLD (minimum lethal dose).

In small children ingestion of 35 mg/kg can lead to moderate toxicity. The amount of caffeine in an average cup of coffee is 50 - 200 mg. Infants metabolize caffeine very slowly."

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/caffeine-faq/

Posted by: Arto Bendiken at November 8, 2005 08:46 PM

People often are not aware of how much Dihydrogen Monoxide (http://www.dhmo.org/) they ingest when they ingest Caffine. Dihydrogen Monoxide can also be very dangerous:

TOXICITY: LD50 (IPR-MOUSE)(G/KG) - 190
LD50 (IV-MOUSE) (MG/KG) - 25

Posted by: Kris at November 22, 2005 11:44 AM